Five Tips If Your Name Has Changed

With tax season upon us again, it is important to make sure that all your information is up to date with the IRS.  If your name has changed due to a marriage or divorce, it is important to notify the IRS in order to avoid a delay in receiving your refund.  Here are some tips if you or your dependent’s names have changed:
  1. If you were married and are now using your married name, notify the IRS of your name change so that the IRS can match your new name with your Social Security number.  If you were divorced and are now using your former name, you should likewise notify the IRS.
  2. Then, you should notify the Social Security Administration of your name change by filing form SS-5-FS, an Application for a Social Security Card.  This can be filed at your local Social Security office or by mail with proof of your legal name change.  You can obtain form SS-5 on the SSA’s website, by calling 800-772-1213, or at your local Social Security Office.  You will be issued a new social security card that reflects your name change.
  3. If you adopted your new spouse’s children and their names changed, you'll need to update their names with the Social Security Administration too. In the case of adopted children who have not been issued social security numbers, parents can apply for an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number by filing Form W-7A with the IRS, an Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions. This is a temporary number used in place of a social security number on the tax return. Form W-7A is available on the website or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
Here are some helpful links: Form SS-5-FS: Form,-Application-for-Taxpayer-Identification-Number-for-Pending-U.S.-Adoptions Adoption Taxpayer ID: IRS tax tips YouTube video:   ANTONELLI & ANTONELLI – New York City Tax Attorneys For more information about our services please visit our Tax Website or learn more About Us.   *Disclaimer: The above information is NOT legal advice and is for educational purposes only. You should always consult with an attorney directly to discuss the specific details of your case.